Tuesday, 8 November 2011

Let's Future-Think This Out

Konnichiwa!

So Emad, what have you bee up this past week? Good question Emad, let's go through it as chronologically as possible.

The last inorganic chemistry lab experiment took place last week! Hooray! It was horrible and good in that weird way practicals are but Aron and I slung it out and we now know what it is like to be in the middle of a war zone. In a university laboratory...ahem.

What else! Another careers event attended in order to boost my learning log and also help me in the future - psychometric tests! Yes, they're awful and useless. Remember taking secondary school entrance exams with "non-verbal reasoning" sections? Or the famous UKCAT? Yes, stupid! Because when you guess you can get a higher score so...that explains that. Okay fine, some of them are good, but others are just flat-out ridic-!

Biology assignments! Two out of three now done for one of the modules. An in-class test this week. Other biology module: first assignment this week. So work is indeed being thrown this way constantly. Keep it coming Mr and Mrs Lecturers, you're going DOWN PAL! In a friendly, non-threatening manner, woop!

Oh, IT WAS EID: THE SECOND! So much fun, as always. Went home of course, the usual celebrations with food took place, as well as banoffee cheesecake, which I think I've only had literally once or twice. Still excellent of course. Even if the place I bought it from is in that bad place close to where I live. (Defend it all you want in the comments section you person!)

The nephew, now 6 months old, threw up milk after the Eid prayers when I arrived home. So fun! But he is wonderful as ever, and according to the conversation I had with my sister today, is a fan of the Very Hungry Caterpillar book and accompanying soft toy I bought him a little while back. So woo to that! However, he is also a fan of eating phones so...not sure what I should upgrade to in the next week/month. Nokia, anyone? It looks good! And we hate Android! (And Blackberries...yes, I said it again MAN!)

What else. Oh, I visited the White Rose centre for the first time in AGES. And unlike someone who just goes for the ice-cream and other food items, I went for other reasons.

Ah, just remembered: it was also my grandmothers' birthday a few days ago! So a giant chocolate cake was presented/shared on Eid in the afternoon! And the funny moment occurred when everyone sang their term of address for the grandmother during the happy birthday song. Mother, grandmother etc etc. The value of family is always being enhanced, which is a good thing.

And this is a good time to mention (because I did NOT forget) that our very own Hummus is 21! I know! Old! But we congratulate her on reaching this age in good health and what not and wish her another splendid 21 years and many more beyond. Here, here!

We now arrive to Tuesday evening. Lectures. Computer practicals. Notes being made, How I Met Your Mother and Bored to Death being watched aaaand...The Adventures of Tintin watched at the cinema! Luke and I paid a visit. We agreed it was good but nothing great or bad. So...advice: watch something else. Like Ides of March (which I still want to watch!) or if you just want to have fun, Tower Heist, because we all need another bloody Eddie Murphy film! Damnit. The Tintin cartoon was AWESOME. My brother and I loved it. Moneyball soon. And Take Shelter. So...keep your Canadian-themed calendars open!

I think this is the point where I leave for bed so farewell to you all and I hope to blog veeery soon with nothing interesting to say whatsoever, as all I will be doing is reading textbooks and making notes this weekend. Hooray!

Sweet dreams.


Emad.

5 comments:

Purple Pyro said...

Hello!
Well...I guessed the whole shapes/patterns section on UKCAT and still managed to borderline fail it, so doesn't work, lol :P
Yay for trash talking the university! :D I shall begin doing this also! It is on like a prawn that yawns at dawn etc.
Clearly the fact that your banoffee cheesecake was awesome was due to the fact it was from Dewsbury.
YAY for the nephew! He is awesome, and who doesn't chew on their mobile once in a while.
There's no point going to White Rose for other reasons ¬_¬
And your grandmas a November baby! Woo!
Oh, *stop it* :P (You did forget, briefly, but it's fine. Seriously. Fine.) lol.
And I will stick to Johnny English 2 thanks! :D
*waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaves!*
:)

Rosie said...

Konnichiwa!

I can't sympathise because I never took any high school entrance exams with 'non-verbal reasoning' (wtf?) or the famous UKCAT. But have my sympathies anyway.

Mate, you do a helluvalotta work for uni. Just saying.

What the hell is the White Rose centre? I would look it up but I am far too lazy. What other reasons are there to go apart from food?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HUMAIRA!

Is Luke your cinema buddy?

This whole post has made me feel very uneducated. But you live and learn, right? So, kudos!

Aunty Em said...

Hello again! Im afraid I have to agree with Humaira, White Rose is merely for warm Millie's cookies and Mint choc chip ice cream. You went to White Rose without me? I have not been for over a year! May I tag along next time?? Humaira you may come along too! Bless Rosie for not knowing what White Rose is?! It kinda puts West Yorkshire into perspective... we are insignifcant!! sobs into a tissue. Your nephew sounds gorgeous! I have a 9 week old baby who cooes at old ladies in the supermarket, anyway this is far too lenghty 4 a comment. sori cant help it. Will check out the Eddie Murphy movie. Chemistry sounds amazing!!! hehehe R u gonna do the GRSC exams? I didnt.

Emad said...

@Hummus: UKCAT is just full-on...no. We hate shapey tests! And I was not trash-talking the university, it was all very constructive =) Then again, first course rep meeting today, told (again) it's a "no-holds-barred forum" etc. Ah, so fun. Become a course rep for medicine damnit! Although I guess it's too late now considering it'd be good only for stages 1/2 for your course.

Jewsbury is...no. Only for...Sainsbury's? After all, Asda is a no because I see you all the time there. And by all the time I mean once.

You chew on everything! And ruin books! Admit it =P
White Rose is good for...buying cookies whilst also...I will find a reason!
November...no.
I didn't forget! Shh! And you are not allowed to watch Johnny English! BOOM! =P

@Rosie: "Non-verbal reasoning" is picture/pattern-matching. Just mean! And...horrible!

YOU do a helluvalot too! All work is hard work =)

Rosie, the White Rose centre is a shopping centre lol. It just has a tonne of eating places as well as your usual clothing etc stores.

Luke is a friend I met on some courses last year but yes, we really do just watch films, doing what we do best. It's demanding work this friendship! =P

@Aunty Em: No! I disagree with you, the White Rose centre is yet another great Yorkshire location Aunty Em! How can you like it only for the food court? =P Yes! Go soon! West Yorkshire is excellent!

Oh dear, the nephew smiles along with older ladies too. What is it with these babies?!

No! Do not check out the Eddie Murphy movie. There is never a case of needing/wanting to check out one of his films! Eww! =P

..."General Royal Society of Chemistry" exams?? Or am I guessing too wildly here? Never heard of them, what are they?? And why didn't you take them?
=)

Aunty Em said...

I live in the West Midlands and hate it! I miss West Yorkshire badly and so yay to White Rose, Charlottes Ice cream parlour and Dewsbury Park, ehrm. GRSC... Graduate Royal Society of Chemistry. Im my day, we had the option of sitting this exam and could then work your way up e.g FRSC etc (fellow) I did not sit this exam because i had too many exams to think about.