Monday, 23 April 2012

Lost in Cyberspace

Konnichiwa!

The last time I went to Pakistan was in 2002, approaching 10 years. It was of course crap aaaand it has probably got worse since then, and I'm pretty sure I would never want to or need to go there again.

What I do remember is sitting in a British consulate office waiting whilst my dad was sorting out whatever he needed to do. And that was the first time I picked up a non-gaming magazine... Strangely enough it was Time. And in there was an article about gaming. And for some reason I remembered it and here it is online. Talk about the brain being bizarre and remembering straaange things. Or you know, pointlessness.

Maybe it's one of those strange memories we all have where it feels like things were timeless or just mysterious in some way. Hmm...

And back to the present day.

I don't think I have anything interesting to share. Yep, the life has just been revision and solitary confinement. Voluntary solitary confinement, as I chose to stay for most of the Easter break in Newcastle. Alone. Woo...

I LIKE LISTENING TO PODCASTS! And I think we should all listen to BBC Radio 4 more. And create our own podcasts. Why not.

I have finally started reading Walter Isaacson's bio of Steve Jobs. I'm a big tech person (despite not knowing anything technical) and bought the book way back in October but have finally started. Damn you university and damn the 70 credits of modules in semester 1 which ruined all/any fun...!

French elections, wow. We need a Jean-Luc Melenchon guy in Britain!

So yes I won't annoy anyone now.

Sweet dreams.

Emad.

OH!

This picture is SUPERB. Here's the link.

5 comments:

itscomplicated said...

That picture is superb :D
I've never been to Pakistan...is that bad? But the mind does work in funny ways. that seems like a nice memory to have though :)
French politics too eh?
Recommend some podcasts :D I don't listen to any...
Good luck with exams!

Rosie said...

I toooootally know what you mean about the mysterious machinations of the memory... Some things stick out in your mind for eons as though they hold the Secret of Life - meanwhile you're struggling to remember important stuff for exams so you can get a degree and then a job and pay for food and stuff O_O. I agree though, it sounds like a nice memory to have :). Some reprieve from the stress of the consulate's office :).

I loved this: "I'm a big tech person (despite not knowing anything technical)."

Podcasts are the best things ever, especially during prolonged stretches of solitary confinement where one is in danger of developing cabin fever and going mad. Fine things. I'd LOVE to be on the radio, how awesome would that be :D?!?!

I want that picture on my wall. Now. :(

Emad said...

@Sarah (yes!)
That picture is indeed brilliant! In fact, I went on the website for a DIFFERENT wallpaper and that came up. And yes it is my phone and desktop wallpaper =D
It's...yes. And clearly going backwards.
Yes, French politics also! He ended up with 11% but still, woo for that =)
I will next blog about my podcasts! All of them...crap, that's going to be a long post now...

@Rosie:
Yeah, they're not significant in any way but just stick in there when, yes, quantum mechanics and biotechnology processes just don't. DAMN BRAINS. And their mysterious ways.
Are YOU a techie? =P
But we all know the Yorkshire accent sounds waaaay better than a Scottish one, right?! I jest! Do not hurt me with your Scottishness! =P
Yeah, if only we could take the photo on a USB to Boots and have it printed out on a huge 16:9 poster for our walls it would be perfect.
Boots - increase the print sizes for your kiosks damnit!
=D

Purple Pyro said...

Bloody hell, that long ago? But you're right, no need to ever go again :P

Ooh, an interesting article, mustve been weird to come across it again! I agree. I have a very clear memory of my grandad sat looking worried on the sofa when I was about 5- I had been staring at him with the intention of trying to imprint that face in my memory. And what do you know, it worked, lol. So yes. Our brains refuse to tell us what we heard yesterday but will gladly give up random bits of miscellania from decades ago ¬_¬ Post more random memories! However pointless, lol, it's interesting reading.

It's okay, solitary confinement is not permanent dammit! :)

How do you create your own podcast...?

And who doesn't hate the French right now ¬_¬

AWESOME PICTURE. Just awesome. I love it.

*waaaaaaaaaaaaaves!*

Emad said...

Yes, when I was 12! Really bizarre. But I totally knew about the game EverQuest...! I think people still play it and I thiiiiink it's not free to play so maybe we should laugh at others' addictions etc. Note: sarcasm. There is this other online game people STILL play that was released in 1998...! And they're such pros you basically have no chance and end up dying etc. ANYHOW! =P

Wow, that is weird, trying to remember that lol. I remember some things from around the 11+ exam period. Ah, grammar schools. D-bags! But woo for pointless memories!

We know what you're referring to (yes, the royal we etc) - NF getting 18%. Wow.

And I don't know, you'd need to buy a good mic which don't cost THAT much and then....blab away and upload it to a few different websites you can create? Blog, Mixcloud, etc etc. WE SHOULD DO IT! Come over lol.

Woo! *THUMBS-UP*
=D